The Business Events Industry Status as Tokyo Reopens
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) has requested various industries including the MICE industry to refrain from business operations and shorten business hours in accordance with the four steps set out by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
Each step has its own set of event restrictions, which are outlined below.
Event capacity limitation:
- Steps 0: Suspension of Business
- Steps 1 & 2: Up to 100 people for indoor events, while keeping numbers under 50% of venue capacity. Outdoor events of no more than 200 people.
- Step 3: Up to 1,000 people for indoor events, while keeping numbers under 50% of venue capacity. Outdoor events of no more than 1,000 people.
- After July 10: Up to 5,000 people for indoor events, while keeping numbers under 50% of venue capacity. Outdoor events of no more than 5,000 people.
- After August 1st (tentative): Number of participants must be under 50% of venue capacity. No limitation on outdoor events.
On June 19, Tokyo transitioned to Step 3, the city’s current stage. Business events facilities in Tokyo have been resuming operations since then, while monitoring the ongoing situation carefully. Many facilities are now operating normally, with individual hygiene measures in place and also starting to take bookings again. Please contact the facilities directly for information.
Relaxation of Travel Restrictions
Entering Japan from abroad is currently limited, however, from the end of June, travelers from Vietnam will be allowed to enter Japan for business. Discussions are also underway with Thailand, Australia, and New Zealand.
In reaction to these changes, facilities are creating guidelines and training staff in preparation for resuming business events activities.
For other official information, please refer to the following: